Tomorrow is my first day at school! After that we're off to Schloss Egg and the Metten Abbey (acording to the schedule.. don't ask me what they are!)
Monday, June 15, 2009
Arrival
Wow! Wooowww.. So guys... I made it to Germany in one peice :D! The flight took forever, but I made it xD... now to give you a bit of play by play before I die of exauhstion/jet lag. Alright... so, the night before I left for Germany, I didn't sleep too much in the hopes that I would sleep on the plane. I was taking my time packing my bags. I had to find a way to identify the bags, so we decided on putting blue tape with a pleasant friend on it :)
Anyway, we left for the airport at about noonish and had to make a pit stop at the bank for cash before we got to DFW. Once we arrived, we waited a bit (to try and find other GAPP kids to get our boarding passes with -- I thought it would effect our ticket order.) But eventually Frau showed up and she insisted that we go ahead and get in line.
Frau was nice and gave us all a spiral notebook so that we could keep a journal of our events while we were here... but I already had mine :) After that, we checked in through security and felt pretty awesome walking around the D Terminal-- international flights :)
Until we realized that our flight was delayed... and we had practically 3 hours to kill. So - the solution was to split up and search for some goods... AKA: Starbucks (giftcards are useful).
Our small splinter of the group mannaged to seek refuge in the bookstore right next to the fantastical Starbucks for the next two hours or so. Reid and Nate kept occupied with their laptop while Iva and Sarith read and talked to me. I kept perfectly busy with this:
A venti Strawberries and Creme Frappuccino... the largest thing I've ever bought from Starbucks, but it was well worth it... it took me the whole 2 hours to finish and was basically my lunch for the flight (I had one bag of Sun Chips before departure). Still, we decided to get up and move towards the terminal as suggested by Frau, so we did... and met up with the others. There, we bonded a bit by talking about the trip before we would be seperated by:
The huge amount of people that actually were to board this international flight. None of us really had seats together, so... we just had to make the best of the 8 plus hour flight... comfort or not. Luckily, Luthansa eased any of our fears about food with good stuff like this:
Though, this is only a dessert item (and a fuzzy one at that... sorry, still getting used to the camera!!) The fruit was good and the cake was dark chocolate :)... plus, the girl that was sitting next to me happened to be about my age and a picky eater... so I acquired some of her leftover food. I tried my best to sleep until 7 AM German time, but the fact that it was not that time in the States might have effected my issues sleeping comforatably. I gave up at about 5 AM their time to watch some anime I had brought, but eventually I was just feeling tired enough to try sleeping again. The second try at sleeping comforatably was a success this time - probably because I actually tried moving my seat back (luckily Rachel was sitting behind me) and putting my pillow directly under the crevice of my neck. It was much better, and I managed a few hours of sleep before we landed and arrived in Frankfurt! Europe!! One of the first things I noticed was simply how different Europeans act or dress. Something about their style just stands out as not American. But really, I should phrase that as... something we Americans do is just not European xD Right after we exited the plane, Frau made us all group up and go to rebook our connecting flight since our original flight had been delayed. After that, it was the recycling.
Already there to greet us at every corner. After Frau gave a quick count, we were permitted to go on our first adventure in Europe - to the bathroom:
I know my elaboration on the bathroom might be a little weird, but I won't gawk so much every time.. so, no worries. Anzway... Just as a note, the Franfurt airport is full of English. But there are just some things you don't see everyday:
Only one Euro! And, of course.. the actual toilet itself.. which I will point out is rounder than the States and also has a button to flush (not visible though)... also, notice the paper towel stuff... not toilet tissue xD
So, it was nice and small... But with all of us that needed to have our passports checked to get a boarding pass to Munich, we didn't have much time to dawdle. Soon enough, we were off through another round of security (though we never "officially" left a secure zone).
But hey - no line... and no need to take shoes off! So, the ride to Munich was pleasantly short. We were all very split up, but that gave us a chance to soak in the reality of the German speakers that we were stuck sitting next to. Although, I sat next to a young kid and his father, so I could pick up their conversation. Also, next to me was this cool Canadian couple with nice new Sony books that they politely showed me. In no time at all though, we were in Munich (prolly because we were all dead asleep on the plane by that point).
But hey - Munich is Munich! Our Germans were close! So, after we exited the plane, we met up with the other students that were already there (Mitch, Daniel, Susan) and went off for our luggage. Again, with the convenient lack of people, we got all of the bags with relative ease (none lost) and went to see the real reasons we came - the Germans!!
:D Aww... what's better is that immediately, I recieved a cool gift of stuff from Vio and Sonja. As we got on the bus to make our way to Deggendorf (another hour), I checked it out.
The bag was full of goodies (I have yet to try):
And the Magic Man tasted pretty decent for an energy drink. Vio gave it to me for the kicks though... just for the name! Nothing like Taurine and Cafeine to get us going again. Seeing the Germans again was the real kick start. Everyone looked a little different. Amongst all of the trees/forest of Bavaria, one thing in particular stuck out to me.. since I had never seen a real one:
A nuclear power plant! Woo - I'm in Europe. Anyway.. the bus took us to the school that they go to in Deggendorf, and this is where I met one of Vio's sisters and her mother. (Both of who can cary a conversation with me in English! <3)>
It's normally Vio's bed, but instead of sharing, she's got another one - blow up, right diagonal from me. It's a very open place, her house. Her sisters rooms function as the general study area, talking, and computer-using for the girls :) Speaking of computers, I'm using a laptop provided by Vio.. but the keyboard is all Germanized... meaning that some of the keys are moved around.. which impairs my typing speed since the "y" and the "z" have conveniently been switched >> Can you see? Plus, the symbols are shifted or just different in general.. Anyway. After I got the quick intro of the house (to drop my stuff off) we (mom, Vio, Silly) went to go eat something (I guess lunch?) with Michael, his mom, and Amanda... but we just walked right into the downtown! It was so close and convenient. Check it out:
So picturesque! That tower there even sounds bells. The sound is so nice... plus, the difference in the cop sirens are so funny... the whole place sounds different. So, we ate at a little outside cafe thing... the only downside I've noticed is the lack of smoking / non-smoking divisions. Plenty of smokers still, I guess. But it wasn't for the whole meal. They paid for my meal, which was nice since I felt like things were expensive even before I glanced at the prices. Though, this little area down here was certianly specialized - butcher and a bakery :D But, of all the drinks I could have attempted, I went with the safe "Mangosaft" or Mango juice:
You see the teeny weeny glass? Hah... 2 plus Euros. But, it was darn good Mango juice. Then, for food... I ventured for something... with just a different name. Thunfisch und Rucola:
AKA - Tunafish and these leaves that taste mustardy xD... check that price...! But boy... with that first bite, I could sense the fresh bread :DDDD.... mmmmm After that (and some conversation), Michael, Amanda, Vio and I walked a few feet to the shoe store because Amanda and Michael have this thing for shoes... and just gawked at the cost of everything, especially in dollars.
Haha.. but they were pretty and organized by color :D!! Still, after that, there was still time to do stuff (somehow.. though Amanda was tired...) so, we walked the few feet back to the cafe thing and grabbed some Gelato... or, rather - Vio ordered some Gelato for me xD... how nice. It had Stracciatella (the chocolate chips) and Raffaelo (coconut) with a cute waffle thing.
I was really full even before this point though... Luftansa had fed us well.. but whatever! Afterwards, we walked back home to the flat and I met her dad and got to see inside of his office... (I will hopefully have pictures of that later too) He wasn't what I had expected for some reason, but he's still cool. So, we talked... and then all too soon it was time for Abendessen! (Dinner.. xD)
At the pretty Ecke - corner... and the nice open, airy kitchen :)... such a nice feeling.. even though it was raining and cloudy since we arrived in Munich. We still went out and walked around.. (with umbrellas and then without xD) Thankfully dinner was light like lunch (before the Gelato)
Salad, fried Bacon and Turky, mashed potatoes, and a slice of bread... oh - with fizzy water! (another thing my mother would really like about Germany since nearly all of it comes like that). ANYWAY! That took a long time. So, hopefully my adventures tomorrow won't keep me so long on the computer.. it was mostly the images. But I can handle it for next time :) I'm so glad to be here.
Especially with a loving family like that!!
Tomorrow is my first day at school! After that we're off to Schloss Egg and the Metten Abbey (acording to the schedule.. don't ask me what they are!)
Tomorrow is my first day at school! After that we're off to Schloss Egg and the Metten Abbey (acording to the schedule.. don't ask me what they are!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

omg omg omg gomg omg it brings back memories! seriously, once you land, there's just a different vibe in Europe, and their downtowns look so quaint and awesome. (and everything IS expensive isn't it? hehe)
ReplyDeleteThese blogs will be the best part of my day!