Monday, June 29, 2009

SUNDAY, June 28 - Landshut Festival

Today, we were able to sleep in a little. I think I slept in the longest I had all trip, to 10 AM… but, once I was awake, the family and I walked to town for breakfast.
We ate at the place that we tried to eat at last week, the Goldener Engel:
... a local restaurant. I ordered a ‘small’ breakfast:
…which came with a choice of a hot drink (I got hot chocolate with cream), 2 Semmel (baguttes basically) and spreads (we got two jams, strawberry and maybe apricot, nuttella spread (chocolate flavored peanut butter like stuff? ..and then honey with a bowl of butter… mmmmm) There was hardly enough bread for all of it…
Anyway, after that good breakfast, we had to hurry up and get to the school by noon for the ride to the Landshuter Hochzeit, or the Landshut Wedding (a re-enaction of a famous midevil wedding that happens every four years). The ride didn’t take too long- maybe an hour or so. When we arrived, .. we had to stick together because the place was crawling with people, both in costume and without. There were so many costumed people! Maybe the most I had seen… it was really cool, but I wished that I could have joined in with a costume of my own.
After Frau gave us our tickets, we followed the crowd into the parade area so that we could find our seats.
The amount of people that surrounded this little parade area was pretty cool as well. Looking directly up from our seats, we saw lots of the citizens filling the rooms across the street to watch.
The actual parade was quite long and featured all sorts of social classes one might have seen if they had lived in Landshut hundreds of years ago. I’ll just show a few of the pictures:
There were acrobatic people / street performers:
There were the local guilds represented (this one is of the spearmen)
The peasant kids:
Wives of merchants or peasants:
Flag bearers:
Horses of the merchant carraiges,
More guilds, (this is of the archer)
A local king and queen:
The noble ladies with their servants:
The musicians:
The religious leaders,
The knights
More noblitiy, perhaps the actual people holding the wedding? (we never actually got to see them)
Noble women on side saddles:
The jousting men:
… and then there was an intermission!
.. this was because all of the people had reached one side and needed to turn around. So, the second time around I got pictures of things I had missed, but they went by faster.
Here is the king that was too cool to walk!
And… to end it all, the real Polzei:
After that… all of the people got up from their seats and
…migrated to the area where the food and reinactments were set up (like jousting – but we didn’t go.. costs money!).
Once we reached the parking lot right outside, we waited for Frau to go get us the entrance tickets… and then we went inside the area with the food huts… inside, we saw some pretty cool stuff. Lots of tasty things surrounded us, but Landshut was really marshy, so it wasn’t pleasant to walk around in too long. Some of the things that caught our eyes were the meats.
Here, you can see an Ox on a spit:
And, we also saw a nice fish stand or two:
There were tons of people in the area too. They were all eating and drinking in the ways that reminded me of the Lord of the Ring.
So, with all of the strange foods, we decided on something only slightly adventurous… fish semmel (sandwich)! Though, we had no idea what kind of fish it was… until after we started eating it.
The red one was Sarith’s, but I tried it as well… it was quite salty, but still good. Mine was the white one with the scales… it really reminded me of mayonaise, both in texture and in taste.. but it was fish! Who knows what it was J
After that we went to another stand to check out the sweet items. I ventured to get the cheapest thing I could find… it was called Praderbombe mit Fettglasur…
…from what I tasted, it was a mix of marshmallow and honey coated waffle cone stuff covered in chocolate... It wasn’t what I was expecting at first, but it was still pretty good, though very gooey.
When we got our sweets, our group of four just waited by the river since there really wasn’t anywhere else to eat.
After about 30 minutes, it was time to go meet up and get Frau to count us:
…after the ride back, I just went home and chilled… and ate my last meal for the day:
Which… I guess was just another small sausage thing with wheat bread and tomatoes.. nothing too adventurous. They also had some cake intended for the photoshoot, but that had been delayed… so we ate some.
But.. I can’t remember what it was called :(
For Monday, we would be going to Neuschwanstein Castle and I would be spending the night with Sarith and Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment