Sunday, June 21, 2009

Trees, hiking, and a Volksfest! (busy Family day)

Today was the first scheduled “Familientag” or Family Day. To celebrate the fact that it was Sunday, we all went out for breakfast, which was only a short walk from the house to the downtown. It was kind of cool because the downtown was even quieter than usual. Most of the shops were closed because it was Sunday, and Vio’s mom said everyone was down at the Danube (there was a “Party at the Donau!”)... plus, her dad was wearing Lederhosen (“my favorite pants”)... so, we left with the intention of sitting outside at the Goldener Engel, but they decided that it was too cold at their tabel, under the umbrella:

So, we went a little further to a place called Ratskeller,

...which I later learned is a chain in Germany (maybe Europe?). And, as we sat down I contemplated the name... which to me, is “Rats” in English.. and “Keller” in German, which means basement... so Ratsbasement? xD... but Vio said the name didn’t have a meaning. Heh... anyway! The table we sat at was much sunnier, so we lost some of our gosebumps.

Plus, the waitress seemed to know the family, so.. she + the kitchen was pretty nice to us (they gave 2 orange juice sized glasses of prosecco on the house - it tasted pretty good). When I ordered my breakfast, I didn’t realize how much food it was going to be... but to start, they brought out my drink.. haha.. a little itty bitty thing of orange juice which.. luckily came with the meal (that’s part of the reason I got it):

...anyway, I ordered something called “VITAL” which actually came with Orangesaft, Butter mit Marmalade, Rühei, and Jogurt (mit frische Fruchte OR Müsli).

After I ordered it, I learned that the Rühei was a saltier version of scrambled eggs, the marmalade tasted like appricots, it all came with a basket of bread, and that the butter looked like cheese (so I made the mistake of putting the whole hunk on a bread with only a little marmalade... xDD) haha... Also, on the menu, I was confused with what my choices were since the “or” was placed oddly for me.. I didn’t realize until they brought it out that my choice of fresh fruit had been for the topping of the yougurt.

If I had known that, it might have been nicer eating it with the Müsli (basically, granola.. some people make their own and use it like cereal). Oh well. By the time the Jogurt was brought out, I was full.. but I still ate all of that fruit. The jogurt wasn’t like typical American Vanilla (it wasn’t as sweet), so.. it must have been fresher or something. Therefore, I left like a centimeter the in cup, hah... but I had also eaten at least 2 breads with the butter and marmalade (it was more than I thought xD)!... so yeah, Vio’s mom was pretty surprised I could eat that all... I was too. Thankfully, I didn’t have any lunch later.

After breakfast, we walked back home. Didn’t take too long...

When we got home, Michael called Vio to see what we were up to... and invited us to do something later. But first, the family decided that it would be the best time to take me to see the Bavarian forest – I hadn’t seen it yet! I was so tired on the way there (about 30 min), but when we got there, I was awake again.. because of the cold. We drove pretty close to the Chzech boarder, and went to the area next to Abersee (a lake).

We stopped breifly for me to get information from the Wolpertinger (the thing that lives in the Bavarian alps!)

Its mouth moved when it talked to us... xD

Anyway, the Abersee was so nice...

...it was just like Washington.. except there were lillypads and German speakers everywhere.

Since Vio’s mom was out of comission for walking, we only took the shorter walk around the lake.

We got to feed some ducks too...

Once we made it back around, we followed tradition and got something warm at the Aberseehaus.

It was nice and elevated, and the waitress had a nice Bayrish accent... Vio and I ordered Haferl heiße Schokolade mit Sahnehaube:

…or hot chocolate with cream XD! How tasty.

I got home, and was tired.. but Vio said we had a break before we were going out with Michael and Steven + Americans. I tried my first Bon Bon (Peach):

And man, that little piece of hard candy tasted even better than it’s American competition (Cream Savors...)... I’ll have to find some before I come home... xD!

Instead of sleep though, I just worked on the blog for the hour we had... and then Vio’s family and I were off to the Volksfest to meet up with the others. I learned that this was their mini fair thing.

And the cool thing was that there were a good amount of people dressed in traditional drundles or lederhosen (like Vio’s dad had been wearing all day xD). Instead of trying the few rides they had, we went for the food.

...The biggest and busiest was this place. Inside the tent thing, we saw that all of the waiters and waitresses were in the traditional costumes and had mad skills with carrying the beer steins xD...

We also saw that we weren’t the only ones to go and check out the Volksfest in Plattling... Philip, Rachel, Jake and their Germans were there... then as we went outside to sit (it was really smokey), we saw Tanja, Mitch, and Daniel... and then the Fraus and Bubba! xD

So yeah.. we sat outside.

It was still really smokey.. but that’s Europe! :P For food I was still kind of full, but Vio told me that I should try the traditional Leberkäse (mit Kartfoffelsalat):

..it was good! The big slices were made of veal, I think. The potato salad was tasty too, so it was worth the price. But, I didn’t buy any drink of course... they’re not worth it from the restraunts in Europe!! xD

So... as the meal progressed, Vio and I got our food first... and then the others got theirs.. but didn’t like it as much and finished first.. so I guess they got bored or something.. and our meal ended in lots of mixed food... Because we had bread and started dipping it in their unused sauce.. but anyway- Vio’s was nearly unrecognizable at the end... so, she made the best of the situation:

Haha.. at least it’s happy!

Our last stop at the Volksfest was at the candy stall:

But I was so full already.. I didn’t even finish the last 2 bites of my Leberkäse. Still, Vio and Mili got some Cherry Ice (stuff that they still called ”Eis” – same word for ice cream in German XD).

But here, Vio got the biggest size... and Michael wanted one and got the small... XD... Mili sized.. lol xD

So, after that we all left! Nice and short.. only came for the food I guess! Haha... but then I went home and worked on identifying Vienna pictures while Vio did homework.

Monday is Munich! Should be cool (literally).

RANDOM:

Birds are different... haha! (well, of course they are!!) But I think the pidgeons have a prettier color. There’s more white and shiney feathers.

I have yet to see a plastic baby changing table... instead, there was a little stall:

No comments:

Post a Comment