Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21 (Mon) - Food++ , Theater ;)

We had a busy day today :) It was fun to do stuff downtown. Basically, we ate a lot of good food and saw a really good movie~

;p To start, I woke up to find Aimee already going. She woke up a lot earlier than usual (goodness knows why?) and had made us some eggs with corn. xD So, I have pictured my eggs with ketchup and some white white bread with peanut butter :) Pretty good.
We left the house about an hour later? Took the bus downtown. First stop - the bank! Had to change some money. We took a number from the machine (like at JoAnns fabric counter xD) and sat to wait. It was really simple to change money (with the help of my BFF translator, of course =p). But I mean, it was really fast. She did it right at the desk xD. The exchange rate wasn't as good as in the States, but that might have been because I couldn't see on the receipt what the service charge was...? Aimee initially told me it was probably about 40 won a dollar (about 4 cents) :... if that was the case - then it was twice the cost of the flat rate(I think it was flat) that I had at the American Express place. Oh well... ;( I'll have to change more money before we go to Jeju Island, too...
After that, we walked to the theater and bought our ticket... $8.. maybe only a little cheaper than the movies back home. I hardly ever go, but movie theaters here are a little different. (I observed this one to be nicer). After we got the ticket though, we went upstairs (the theater is in one big building with other stuff) to eat lunch.
Here's the outside of Pasteria - an Italian food place. (More Italian, less Korean this time xD - but not much less.. hah) We ordered quite a bit, and it was all alright. The salad being my least favorite. :o

Here's a picture of our Cajun Salad. Can you tell why it wasn't my favorite? Yeah - that pink stuff is dressing... :( The chicken part was good, but the lettuce and tomatoes (plus.. maybe some pepper/radish bits?) were lost to the bath of dressing. Dx Bland, heavy dressing... ;p


Here were our main dishes: Chicken Risotto and Seafood Cream Spaghetti. The Chicken Risotto was quite good - just as risotto should be. Rice, tomato, cheese, chicken. The spaghetti was pretty good too. Saucy, but hey - at this point, I find it acceptable to be saucy. xD The seafood included the black things (mussels? oysters?), shrimp (+tail), and chewy bits of octopus and squid rings (my fav :D). There were some random other sorts of noodles and mushrooms thrown in there, but it was all fair game. Pretty good - but the risotto was probably better.
All of this was served with our included tiny water glasses and side of pickles. xD
Another note: I liked the decor of this place. Nice purple velvet benches and then purple pleather/leather curved/cupped seats. Comfy.

After we finished, we went back downstairs to catch our main feature: Disney's the Prince of Persia!!
This is right outside the door - the seating chart, for our convenience, since seats are assigned with your theater ticket :) Because of this, there is no rushing to arrive early. Everyone arrived right on time (we were the first into the theater!).
I really enjoyed the movie, by the way. It was quite entertaining and well made. Though parts of the story alone were very obvious and expected, all of it together was nice. Here, most non-animated movies are merely subtitled, so it was just like seeing it in an American theater, except with subtitles ;p
Maybe I'm crazy, but the seats were more comforatable as well. The arm rests were optional. If you didn't want one, you could push it up.
So, overall - it was 8,000 won well spent!
After the movie, we went for refreshments at this amazing little cafe/flower shop across the street called the Wooden Giraffe.
This is the outside of it - isn't it trippy? :D The inside is extremely decorated and cute. There are figurines all over. Many of giraffes and Studio Ghibli stuff (like the totoro right at the door here!) I'm glad to see a cool place like this right in Yongin. Aimee and her friends come here a lot.
Unfortunately, as I removed my shoes and stepped up the two wooden steps to sit at the table (on cushions), I totally nicked my toe :( I didn't measure the height of the step well enough, so I ended up cutting the skin right under my left foot's pointer toe T_T... owieeeeee. Just last night Aimee rolled over my three of my right toes with her huge chair while we were playing BnB :( [Poor toes...]
*sigh* Anyway! The real meat of a cafe comes from.. well, the drinks XD
It's all about the packaging! Here was our order :). I sadly cut off some of the cuteness because Aimee's face was right behind it and she dislikes face shots... but the stiring sticks were amusing :D Mine was the banana shake in the glass jar thing - had a blue bendy straw (all the rage here in Korea xD) and stirring stick with a hand on it.. high fiving. Aimee's mocha had a silver smiling face on her stiring stick.
The drink itself was just as banana shakes should really be - natural and unsweetened. Fruits here seem to be much sweeter anyway. It was creamy, filling, and I definitely tasted banana seeds as I drank. xD We'll probably be heading back a few times. :) I'd say the prices were comprable to a US Starbucks, but then there was only one lady making everything and tending the plants ;) Next time, I might try the kiwi smoothie? XD Or maybe some flower tea. :o She has herbs drying around the place... could be amazing xD?


I also tried another one of my mini choclates. This was my favorite so far... Chocolate filled with "apple yogurt" xD... haha.

Several pictures later (Aimee had her cameras...), we grabbed the bus back home and stopped at the bakery for part of dinner and some dessert.

We ate our delicious sandwiches (lettuce, tomato, ham?, mayo, cheese, and peppersss(what made it great.. that and the bread)) with some cream soup with corn Aimee made... nice and thick xD Plus, a glass of milk.. tasty :)

Now, we're off to the grocery store to pick up mom and cheaper food for tomorrow. xD
Probably more BnB tonight... and tomorrow we're meeting up with one of Aimee's musician friends to buy a ticket to her concert. Maybe at the WG again?
:)







5 comments:

  1. Oooh, assigned movie theater seating? How nifty. And the store with the figurines, any Castle in the Sky or NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind? :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - Gina LawrenceJune 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM

    Sorry about your toes!! lots of different foods. would love to see more pics of some buildings and / or street scenes. Max asked about you? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your toes and my knee just love to get hurt. :/

    Oh, and the theater was actually on the 5th floor, and Pastario(not Pasteria xD) was on the 3rd.

    It was funn. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @reid - I didn't see any from those specifically: just totoros (at least 3) and some pictures from Anne of Green Gables(?) which was never marketed in America! :(
    There wereee superman pics and Dragonball figures to say a few.. xD

    @mom - I plan on taking more building shots... eventually. It just didn't seem that much different, so I haven't bothered XD (plus, we don't visit many monuments...)

    @courtney - xDD <3

    ReplyDelete