Today was another eventful day. It involved a lot of traveling... bus switching several times... and meeting up with Aimee's best friend, Minhyung.
Morning was fairly normal, except for the fact that we were actually awake. The trip was about an hour and 30 min by bus, so we had to have enough time to get ready. Breakfast was just a banana, strawberry yogurt and leftover watermelon.
First bus of the day was to downtown Yongin. I had to make my final money exchange (hopefully).

This is just a random shot of the elevator next to the bank entrance in the building it was in. From there, we went right to the bus station.

Here's a shot of the typical crowd, I guess. Just a Monday. Convenience stores, Lotteria and a Dunkin Donuts all right there. We just missed the bus to Incheon when we arrived, so we had about 20 minutes to peruse... and use the bathroom. However, public places are .. well, public - high use. So, the bathroom was a bit scary. To get an idea of the cultural differences...

... this is a shot of the public soap. No need for a dispenser when you can just have a solid bar attached to the wall...

For good measure, I took a shot of the expensive (well, just more expensive than usual) direct ride to Incheon. It's slightly roomier. Maybe almost like a charter bus - minus the bathrooms and with less comfortable seats. I mean, it all seems nice initially sitting, but maybe only an hour into the ride.. my butt hurt. :P

Oh well. We got off right at the next bus station in Incheon to meet up with Minhyung. I liked the purple pillars?

At Incheon's station, we grabbed some drinks while waiting. Aimee told me this was apple yogurt flavored drink... but honestly - to my surprise, I tasted it and realized I'd had it before: it was just like Apple flavored Jolly Ranchers!! Except.. well, liquid.. and white. :x But really - it tasted JUST like them. Kind of funny to have a familiar taste.

Right after we met up with Minhyung, we didn't have to go very far before we arrived in the mall. I think it was literally downstairs? Something like that. It had most major brands from the States and some from other countries, but instead of individually divided shops, they were all open (as pictured). Not just one department store... many little shops without walls. I actually think it's a bit more convenient and practical this way. But hey - could just be Korea rubbing off on me?

Anyway - after that, we decided to go to a different neighborhood for a better shopping experience (or something like that). But, to get there - we had to take the subway. So - new experience for me. First actual subway I've taken.. Just like I expected, really. Slid my card and went on in.

Except, unlike some movies, this subway had a barrier between the platform and the rail... no easy suicides here. I also took this shot because of the funny way the yellow sign implied "exit" ("Way Out"). xD Don't want any dead ends, I guess.

Obviously, this was actually on the subway. Just a shot down the aisle. Clean enough, considering how many people must use it.

Once we got off, we went shopping in the Underground :)... Cheap and lots of variety. Pretty aweseome. I definitely got some stuff. (Probably 1/3 of the price I usually pay). I'm sure it's not quality quality, but it works -- when you just want something new. Fashion!

Afterwords, we went to eat -- where, you might wonder? Don't hold your breath --> another Korean-Italian place xD. My 3rd one so far, but I think I like this on the best. They frequent this place every time they come to the neighborhood, so - why not?

Little waitress interaction necessary - people just get their own drinks and side condiments (pickles, raddish..etc). If we did need the waitress- she's but a button push away. Kind of like a flight attendant? xD Or maybe more like Sonic.. when you're ready to order. Pay right there, and she brings it.

I tried another interesting dish... I believe it was called Kimchi rice? Basically, spicy (fried?) rice covered in melted cheese (mozzarella?), topped with seaweed. Pretty good - but again... spicy. :P (At least for a little foreigner like me )

After we ate - we went to take more sticker photos. (I guess it's like a Korean introductory right of passage xD)
Then, went to do our favorite thing... try a new cafe.

There are always so many choices, so it's nice that Minhyung knew where to pick. This one's specialty was waffles and gelato. xD Nice atmosphere and everything.

We took them up on their specialty too -- waffles and gelato! (Courtesy of Minhyung - gotta love her!) The "vanilla" (white) was really just like the plain tart yogurt at Yumilicious xD... and the dark chocolate one next to it was really heavy, but still good... I preferred the white. The waffles... how do I describe their awesomeness?? Delicious. Best waffles ever?? I dunno - I might just be going crazy, but they tasted so good... I'd definitely get more. Fruit - was okay. Nothing special. Drink: they had the mochas and I had the Mango Yogurt Smoothie xD Quite good - refreshing. Not bad, but of course - too expensive! So, overall - I might order the drink again.. no fruit, no gelato - but YESSS WAFFLES!! xD
After that - it was decided that Minhyung would spend the night. But first - we had to take another bus (blue - in city) to her house... and meet her mom at the grocery store to help carry stuff xD

So, here we went...

And I got to see how another Korean lives. These are the apartments she lived in. :x HUGE!! (Elevators - yes).

While she packed stuff for overnight, her mom gave us fruit :) Much tastier than the cafe's, really. Seems pretty common - kiwi and bananas. xD (but still more expensive).
After that - we took another bus (I think a cheaper in-city one)... and then transferred to a red bus (out of city) - for free? Took that bus to Gangnam... (about 40 min) - stopped at Krispy Kreme xD (loaded up on donuts for tomorrow)... and grabbed another bus home. xD Luckily, all times we were able to secure a seat successfully. So many don't - and have to stand :( Would have been a crappy ride!
Once we were home -we stopped at a convenience store to grab some drinks... and arrived home.

I went ahead and tried one of the assorted donuts I picked out: dark chocolate walnut! It was very good - practically it's own meal with all of those walnuts! I love walnuts :)... I want more donuts like these... but then again, I'd probably be as round as a pancake if they were too easily accessible. xD *sigh*... but yeah - it was good. The pear juice I grabbed kind creeped me out once I got to the bottom. I didn't shake it, I guess -so there was something akin to pulp.. xD It was a sweet beverage and all, but nothing special. It's kind of like that rice water I had - creepy stuff at the bottom and only semi-satisfying flavor. (I liked the rice water better though!)
Oh well.
Tomorrow.... we're packing and relaxing -- We leave for Jeju on Wed after all!
:)
ok - I did not get a chance to post yesterday after reading about the meat party. Very interesting meats. I am not a duck fan so I might have trouble with some of the meat there, maybe not. I like the country side. So on to this adventure - cool on the underground shopping - we love deals and cool on the waffles and doughnuts!! looks like those would be my fav too :) So have fun at Jon's and tell him I said hello and we'll see him when he gets back. Love ya! Tell Aims' mom I said hi.
ReplyDelete:) this is a public domain ;) had to take off courney's comment
ReplyDeleteoh well
@mom - can do.